Monday 17 May 2010

Update from William Spurway

The pressure is on. Not that long to go now especially as I am teaching as well and I know I'm supposed to be clearing the studio, repainting the walls and cutting the grass, but I am caught up in a series of paintings with so many ideas and images running through my head that I simply don't want to stop!

I was lucky to receive a research grant to travel to Finland at the beginning of the year and came back with my head full of images and the bright white light of a Finnish winter. Painting delicate silver birch trees in snow are proving tricky but will be worth it if I can pull it off, dark dark firs standing proud against a blue sky add drama if I get the tone right. I've been doing some printmaking too - reflections on water, an old and ongoing interest of mine.

Been speaking with Ewan McClure who is sharing the studio with me for Spring Fling about how we are going to show our work. Will we put out our paints and sketchbooks and inspirations? I think so, but this also takes thought and organisation. Looking forward to it though - meeting regular Spring Flingers as well as welcoming new people to my studio. Roll on 29th May.
You can find William at Studio 83 in the east of the region in this year's Spring Fling.

1 comment: