Thursday 7 May 2009

John Clark and the Dumfries Howff Club

Unaccustomed as I am to blogging I thought I’d give it a bash and relay some info ‘closet bloggers’ or ‘fellow flingers’ might find interesting. Like many artists I have a dual occupation and juggle my workload between my gallery in Dumfries and my role as an independent financial adviser. Although my gallery is still ticking away after nearly 11yrs, I find it difficult to let go of financial services as most of my clients are personal friends. Tempting though it is to seek the quiet life, if there is such a thing, I would not want to ‘jump ship,’ and leave my clients in a state of confusion especially in this particular climate.

What’s all this got to do with the Spring Fling you ask? Not a lot but in an odd way having nearly 35 yrs in sales / advising does give some ideas that can stimulate interest and ultimately procure sales. The joy of painting on its own doesn’t pay the rent and I do sometimes look at how to make the purchase of original work more appealing and affordable.

Although I undertake some contemporary work, the bulk of my painting is representational landscapes of Dumfries & Galloway. I much admire those brave souls who can work ‘in-situ’ and paint the great outdoors. Wind, rain, daft dogs and mad cows, have made me embrace digital photography. For health and safety reasons this provides me with a quick exit strategy and sometimes additional imagery I had not bargained for! So it is, I return to my cosy studio and transform hopefully the digital image into something that is rewarding both financially and aesthetically. I had a look on Phil McMenemy’s site and the photographic images are truly stunning. I’ll have to get my self a good set of hiking boots!

This being my second ‘Spring Fling’ I thought I’d try, as always, to put some fresh paintings into the gallery. I must remark the ‘Taster’ was very well presented, diverse and ‘inspiring!’ Last year, a painting I put into ‘the taster’ sold just prior to the handing in day and this year I enjoyed a similar experience with ‘The Homecoming Ellisland,’ being purchased by the Dumfries Howff Club.

As the Dumfries Howff Club do a lot of work in promoting Scottish Literature in schools and the local community, I gave some thought as to how I could raise a bit of money for the club via a print run of the ‘Homecoming’ painting. As some of my gallery income is derived from Ltd Ed prints, I proposed to the club I would offer the profit from the first twenty prints to help offset the cost of the original with a further 25% on sales thereafter. Not surprisingly the club accepted my offer and without exception all the committee members and the manageress of the Globe Inn (the exceptionally talented Jane Brown) ordered a framed print on the night of my presentation. Not a bad start and it’s early days, but if advance orders are fulfilled the cost of the original will be recouped by the club by early summer.

The original painting of ‘The Homecoming Ellisland’ was handed over by ‘moi’ to the newly elected president, John Caskie at the AGM held recently at the Globe Inn, official meeting place of Dumfries Burns Howff Club. The painting was received enthusiastically by members and appropriately a framed print was presented to Maureen McKerrow for her excellent work over the years.

If the club take up my suggestion of networking the ‘special terms’ being offered to ‘Burnsians’ via the web they could enjoy additional income for many years to come. The place where the original will eventually be put on public display has yet to be decided but the fact Burnsians will be able to view it hundreds of years hence gives me (a Howff Club Member) a little buzz. Although income will be tempered a little on sales of this particular print I am happy in the knowledge money is being channelled into a very worthwhile cause.
Hopefully additional interest will be stimulated in my website leading to sales of other work and commissions. Oddly enough although I have been involved with sales all my life this is the first time I have ever ‘sold a painting’ in this manner. It was an enjoyable experience and one that I might revisit if it proves worthwhile. It will be interesting to see how things develop?

Best wishes to fellow ‘Flingers’ - John Clark
To view the painting/print in question just log in to http://www.landscapesgallery.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment