Friday 15 May 2009

Lisa Hooper in Port William

Lisa Hooper is an artist printmaker based in Port William. She can be found in Studio 61 on the yellow route throughout Spring Fling (photo above by Euan Adamson). Here follows a slice of Spring Fling life by Lisa.....
With Spring Fling approaching fast and a busy summer ahead I seem to be flitting from one thing to another – one minute printing labels and cards, the next finishing frames and cutting mounts - seldom, at the moment, managing to squeeze in much creative work. This week, I have a couple of chaps coming to do woodcuts with me for the day on Wednesday, and on Saturday I have three women coming to do batik on paper, so I’m also having to keep the studio clean and tidy which is a bit of a discipline! The workshops will be a prompt to have a think about my demonstration during Spring Fling, which is likely this year to include doing some batik on paper for the first time. I’ll be trying to think of a fairly short but productive demonstration so that visitors see as much as possible of the technique whilst also allowing me to produce something of quality which I can perhaps use on greetings cards for instance.

This year there should be quite a buzz at Seymour House as, following on from last year’s one day experiment with teas, two of our neighbours will again be occupying the kitchen and offering cakes and hot drinks (proceeds to a local charity): this year on the Saturday and the Sunday.

I’ve been very fortunate this summer with my exhibiting opportunities, which means that I am now thinking two or three exhibitions ahead of Spring Fling! In June I have a solo exhibition at the Rockcliffe Gallery in the Baron’s Craig Hotel, followed by almost continuous exposure right through until October. Last week I was offered a stall in the Art Marquee at the annual British Birdwatching Fair at Rutland Water in August, which although I’d been hoping it would happen, came as a bit of a wake up call. So, I started yet another list of works and set about finding a B&B for four nights. I’m now doing evening shifts making 300 cards featuring birds….

In spite of all these distractions, I’ve been working on a new piece featuring a fox (perhaps to go with all my hares!) and I’m just starting out on a woodcut of the neighbours’ gardens in Port William (featuring fish floats, lobster pots, a boat, a washing line and – why not? – the washing machine as well). But don’t hold your breath for that one….
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Jill and I love your new fox print Lisa, hope one finds its way into the gallery!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete