Monday 16 March 2009

The First Time! - by Phil McMenemy

Well, its approaching and becoming ever more tangible! As this is my first experience of being a participant in the Spring Fling everything seems rather otherworldly and unreal – every step of the way is a bit of an adventure and refreshingly new, from the regular email updates and news to the experience this week of collecting all my signs!! Wow, I’m really doing this thing!
I also took the opportunity to help out and deliver some of the SF brochures to places who are helping us spread the word of the event, this in itself was a nice experience. Next week sees the official launch of the ‘taster’ exhibition something I am both excited about and rather nervous of. I have to wear something red, hmmmm, it’ll have to be my Julian Cope T shirt and my famous red hat!

Phil at home in Laurieston with his two sons.
I am starting to think more definitively about my Gallery and the stock I hope to have ready for the SF weekend – this also seems rather daunting and scary so I’m hoping to glean advice from experienced campaigners over the next few weeks – be prepared!
I have also been fortunate enough to have spent time in the outdoors with my camera and have truly enjoyed it, as always. This is my ‘work’ now – it seems a strange thing to say. I find all aspects of my ‘job’ thoroughly engrossing and wonder where the time goes. I feel I have so much to do – all good!

Recent news from me is that I have been deep in conversation with writer and poet Mary Smith – we have met and discussed the possibility of undertaking a joint venture together. This has gone well and we have come up with a lengthy option list of subjects to consider. I have long been aware of and have held an admiration for Mary’s work for quite some time, so this new approach to collaboration is something which has certainly excited and given me added focus.

My website continues to develop as new work is updated and given an airing on a regular basis, the ‘Gallery at Laurieston’ continues to attract visitors, who are most welcome, and continues to be open on a regular basis on each Sunday. There’s more work to be done – better continue the struggle.
Until soon, Kind Regards
Phil McMenemy – Studio 44 Red Route

No comments:

Post a Comment